about bernard ingram links
home maps
stories
closures
collieries men at work machines

Maps

section introduction, general background etc.

Map of the Maesteg Area

Map of part of the Llynfi Valley

Llynfi

The Llynfi Valley had a number of pits working through the years and numerous levels (drift mines). The deep pits included:

Bryn Navigation - sunk in 1890s and closed in 1964, Garth - sunk in 1864 and closed in 1930, Coegnant - sunk in 1882 and closed in 1981, Caerau - sunk in 1889 and closed in 1979
Oakwood - sunk in 1868 and closed in 1928/9, St.John's - sunk in 1908 and closed in 1985 (the last deep mine in the Llynfi Valley)

To see what this area looked like in 1884 click here.

Other maps:
garw
| ogmore | llynfi

Image produced from the Ordnance Survey Get-a-map service. Image reproduced with kind permission of Ordnance Survey and Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland. Reproduced from Ordnance Survey map data by permission of Ordnance Survey, ©Crown copyright.

about the author links
home maps
stories
closures
collieries men at work machines

©all words and pictures on this site are copyright of Bernard Ingram and Black Cat Design